Saturday 12 April 2008

A sunny, mild morning awaited me today, and at 6:45am I set off out to find some summer migrants. Cuckoo, Nightingale, Whitethroat, Turtle dove and more, all should be turning up in the next ten days, but alas, not today! However I did get to hear my first BLACKCAP actually singing, very nice too. Only two winter species were still about, the pair of TEAL in the wet woods, and a single flyover MEADOW PIPIT, I suppose the 3 CORMORANT that flew over could be described as winter visitors, but they can come over at any time really. A female SPARROWHAWK continues to cause havoc in the area, why does it always fly into the next bit of habitat i'm about to visit? Everything disappears!
Whilst I was out I checked my nest boxes, out of the seven boxes, 6 have BLUE TITS in, five of those have from 1, to 5 eggs in, the seventh box has a GREAT TIT nest in it, but is incomplete. The MISTLE THRUSH above the front door of my house, has been seen bringing food to the nest, indicating that the eggs have hatched.

3 comments:

Steve said...

Any day now Warren.....they will all flood in!

Kingsdowner said...

Congratulations on the tit nestboxes....if disturbance is minimal, is there a chance of a pic?

Warren Baker said...

Kingsdowner,
I'll try on get a pic, when its possible. They are remarkably tolerant little birds!