Tuesday 15 April 2008

The oilseed rape is out in bloom now. This field is south of my patch. Immediatley behind the hedgerow is the A26 Tonbridge road, its noise constantly destroys the peaceful countryside around it.




The CUCKOO called again this morming as I walked in to work. However a much rarer species was recorded, when an EGYPTIAN GOOSE (76) flew across migrant alley,only the second occurrence of this bird in the 7 years recording of my patch. The last was a group of 10 that visited the lake area on the 15th Oct. 2006.

Walking back home from work i saw that the manured field at migrant alley was being prepared for ploughing. Later that afternoon I went back to watch what might turn up on the freshly turned sods. 2 hours of waiting only produced an ever growing flock of PIED WAGTAILS, I estimated between 30 - 50 popping up between the turned earth. A group of some 25 ROOKS and 20 JACKDAWS also hunted for morsels, probably for their growing nestlings.

An evening visit to the scrubby woods adjacent to the lake, to listen for Nightingale was a failure, they might be there, but I didn't hear them - anyday now.

No comments: