Wednesday 9 April 2008

A Frost greeted me this morning, but it soon melted away under warm sunshine and a light wind. I left my house at 6:45am and spent 7hours in the field, walking over all the habitat of my patch, a brilliant total of 52 species was recorded, I was really pleased with this. Some good species were seen - including the first BLACKCAP (74) of the year, at last! although it was a female, so I havn't heard one sing yet! The arrival of the Blackcap last year was on the 9th April, but the earliest I've seen them was 23 March 2003, the average date for their arrival is the 29th March. Winter birds were still around, a pair of SISKIN were found in the hedgerow at the golf course, and a pair of teal were in the wet woods. The siskin being the first this month, also a first for this month was a KINGFISHER that flew up the stream behind the college, and a pair of MUTE SWANS, that flew low over migrant alley. 2 COMMON BUZZARDS were soaring high over the fields and paddocks at migrant alley. In all a very pleasurable day!

This COMMA butterfly was enjoying the sunshine
A PEACOCK butterfly, soaking up the rays

Classic SWALLOW position, on the telephone cable

This was a male, over the horse stables at the college



A KESTREL patroling its territory




This linnet was singing early on this morning





A GREY HERON fished at the lake


here's the two MUTE SWAN that flew over migrant alley, they may be a common bird, but it always gives me a wow, as I see them so infrequently


A lovely male BULLFINCH, a long way off, but you can still appreciate its beautiful colouring



Oh! and I nearly forgot, these two DEER were in a barley crop, anyone know what kind they are?


this is a view from the north end of migrant alley, looking south. Just to the left of the green houses, between the hedgerow, you can just pick out my seat, I use for looking over the fields










3 comments:

Simon said...

Some brilliant sightings and photos Warren! Sounds like you had a great day.

Simon said...

Those deer look like they may be a dark form of Fallow Deer.

Warren Baker said...

Simon, I heard recently that there were some muntjac deer around, maybe its them ? Cheers for the comments