Saturday 5 April 2008

A cold wind blew this morning and a bit of light rain fell, but I was determined to go out and find some migrants. Blackcap was the most likely, but it was a WILLOW WARBLER (73) that made my day, its decending trill is a classic summer sound for me. I have never recorded Willow Warbler before Blackcap on my patch before. The earliest arrival ofWillow Warbler, on my patch, was on April 1st 2006, the latest arrival was on the 20th April 2002. They don't breed here, but just pass through, and I only record less than ten each year.

A FIELDFARE was present at the golf course, a reminder that winter has only just gone, and two TEAL were in the wet woods, its getting late for them on my patch.

Other summer visitors were 2 SWALLOWS, and a total of 18 singing CHIFFCHAFFS, also another Willow Warbler sang from somewhere near the greenhouse complex. A male sparrowhawk was obseved, devouring its kill, and another was seen to fly into a bush, where it was clouted from behind by an irrate MISTLE THRUSH! A pair of GREY WAGTAILS were feeding at migrant alley, on a manure heap, and 5 LINNETS were seen on the fields.



This bird came into the garden about 12;30. I thought it was a Juv. Greenfinch, but it would be a very early youngster. Then I saw the head pattern and ruled it out, it seemed more like a juv. Yellowhammer, but again this would be an even more remarkably early youngster. The pics are crap, because I took them through a dirty window, and the camera was set up wrong!
Another dodgy pic. Is it a female yellowhammer ? There was no sign of yellow or chestnut, but it when it flew off it seemed lomg tailed.

Garden Goldfinch


The Tulips are now fully out, just in time for the cold winds!



Dandelion, in my lawn, its a proper lawn - not mowed every week




Also got some Forget-me-not in it.





4 comments:

Simon said...

Great to hear about the Willow Warbler. 1 was heard this morning in Mote Park by another birder, but I unfortunately didn't.

Steve said...

Hi Warren, it looks like a f. Yellowhammer to me.

Steve said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Warren Baker said...

Simon,
wont be long now, all the migrants should be here in the next 2 weeks.

Steve,
Ive settled for female yellowhammer, thought it must of been one, the wing bars made me wonder though. This is only the second yellowhammer to visit the garden in 8 years, and the 27th species to do so this year.