Wednesday 30 April 2008

Again it was raining heavily this morning, I walked in anyway, just in case something was about, alas nothing was tempted out in the wet weather, except a dozen or so STOCK DOVES, feeding on the maize field.
The day attempted to brighten up as I walked home from work, I scanned the sky for a Swift or Hobby, but no luck. After lunch I set off for one last try to get a Nightingale on my April list, or maybe a Garden Warbler, but half an hour after leaving the rain came down again. I persisted anyway, and all I got was totally soaked, nothing sang but CHIFFCHAFFS and the now long staying (for my patch) WILLOW WARBLER. Alot of the footpaths on my patch now resemble something from WW1, just deep muddy ruts! every hollow and dip in the ground is full of water, such has been the rainfall here.
So nothing much to report today, a poor end to April. some of the stats for this month :

Total species seen 71 ( joint high with 2006)

Mean number of species seen in april (over 7 years) is 67

Total species for Combined Aprils is a surprising 93.

Patch year list so far 81

Species not seen in previous Aprils - Little Egret, Whimbrel, Peregrine and Egyptian Goose.

And for the garden.........

Total species seen 20 ( 4 best year out of 7 )

Mean number of species seen in April (over 7 Years )is 20

Total species for combined Aprils is 33

Garden year list so far is 28 ( actually visiting )

Species not seen in previous Aprils -Mistle Thrush and Yellowhammer.

Lets hope the weather improves for May. !

No comments: