Saturday 9 February 2008

Sunrise This Morning


Out at the crack of dawn this morning, there was a slight mist and a touch of frost, but both dispersed quickly, leaving it so warm and springlike, that I felt sure a Coockoo would call! A flock of 7 Grey Lag Geese were on the golf course, the first of the month, and when I arrived at the lake area, I found 4 Mute swans, probably part of the 5 I saw last month. Also on the lakes were, KINGFISHER, MALLARD, MOORHEN, CANADA GEESE and a lone GREY HERON in a tree, this is really busy for this area!! On to the waterlogged woods and another first for the month was a drake MANDARIN, swimming amongst the cover of the trees, along with at least 8 TEAL. At migrant alley there were hundreds of FIELDFARE, with 60 or so STARLING and a sprinkling of REDWING. A GREY WAGTAIL, another new species for the month, flew from a manure pile to a group of bushes. Only 4 SISKIN were seen in the alders along the stream. A very pleasing total of 50 species was seen, its not very often I find this many species in a morning. The 4 new species for the month takes the February total to 58, one behind last February, which holds the record high of 59.

A View S/E Of My Patch

I Can't Resist Taking A Snap Of The Waterlogged Woods


This Songthrush Sang Loudly



One Of The 4 Mute Swans In The Lake Area




I Put This On To Celebrate My First Jay Picture!





This Grey Wagtail Looked Stunning In The Bare Branches Of The Bush
Later in the afternoon, whilst in the garden, my first bumble bee of the year hummed around the ivy, and the years first Red Admiral alighted on the window sill for a few moments, but was gone when I came out with the camera!






1 comment:

Steve said...

Well done with the first Red Admiral of the year. I was sure I would see one today (but didn't!) Nice pics...especially the waterlogged woods...