Tuesday 26 February 2008

I walked to work in dull, windy drizzley conditions, but this didn't seem to bother the ever cheerful resident birds, they sang just the same, and the paddocks at migrant alley were starting to welcome in the FIELDFARE and REDWING for the days feeding. They were still there on my return, around 1pm, joined now by a flock of 75 STARLING, allbeit a bit flighty, both male and female SPARROWHAWK were on the prowl for the unwary! I waited around for an hour or so, watching the fence posts, and partly clouded sky, it was pleasant enough in the warm sun, but there was no sign of an early migrant - still a bit too early yet I suppose, but i'm chomping at the bit for the spring birds to come over!
A quick walk around the wet woods and lake area produced the usual, GREY HERON, MALLARD and MOORHEN, with at least 6 TEAL on the pools in the woods. Work was still going on at the tree nursery, so that was useless. A CORMORANT flew over a bit later, towards the lake area, and seemed to alight there. All the usual happenings! A few weeks from now and it will all be different.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Hi Warren, Great blog you have here with nice pics, if only I could walk to work I'm sure theres allsorts getting missed, unfortunately its too far.
Thanks for your comment and heads up on the ID I always get them mixed up somehow, but I have corrected my post and given you a mention, I have also added you as a link on my blog.
Cheers, Mike.