Wednesday 6 February 2008

Blackthorn -a food source for any early bees.
A mild springlike day enticed me out on to my patch today, primarily to try to find a Brambling or Redpoll, but both were absent (or I couldn't find them!). At the ponds, the first sighting this month, of the overwintering LITTLE GREBE, they can be so secretive! How have I not seen it up till now ? Also there, a KINGFISHER and a GREY HERON, with the usual MALLARDS and MOORHENS. A single female TEAL was in the wet woods, up above them I saw COAL TIT, TREE CREEPER and heard SISKIN. On the dryer part of the woodland floor a small group of CHAFFINCH fed, I scanned each one for that Brambling! What makes it so frustrating is, I have had a pair on the feeders I put up for the kids at school - less than half a mile from my patch!

3 comments:

Simon said...

Perhaps you should take up fortune telling! Had a Little Egret fly over the Park at last light this evening. My next patch tick after hearing a sighting of one from a local fisherman.

Warren Baker said...

Nice one simon, I used to have a bit of luck on the horses (-: How many species have you seen at the park?

Simon said...

I've got 56...so far!