Wednesday 30 January 2008

Now the mornings have chink of light at 7.00am, it wont be long before I can use the bins. However, I still managed to get a good sight of the 300 or so, mixed flock of JACKDAWS and ROOKS. Our paths only cross for a short while, as they get to the electricity pylons a few minutes earlier each day, and I pass under them at the same time. I watched them come in from the north west, wheel around noisily and then line up on the cables.

Passing the same spot on the way home, all was quiet at migrant alley, the mixed feeding flock of winter thrushes had all gone, probably fed up with the continued harrassment by the SPARROWHAWKS, the only thing I did see there!

I decided on a garden bird watch when I got in. Unfortunately spring had arrived early, by that I mean the incessant noise of a lawnmower - all afternoon - droning on, one of those sit on jobs. Other disturbance - barking dogs, noisey gardeners, low flying aircraft and building work all conspired to make it a poor session!! Just 20 species were seen in and around the garden, all the usual suspects, Tits, Finch's, BLACKBIRD, DUNNOCK, GREAT SPOTS, STARLINGS, COLLARED DOVES a pair of fighting ROBINS and just 2 HOUSE SPARROWS. The sparrows aren't too rare around here, they just don't like feeding in my garden because of the hawk, cleverer than the finch's, who make regular snacks! An interesting site was of a G S Woodpecker flying of with a piece of bread, first time i've seen them eating this.

No comments: