Monday 21 January 2008

It was blowing a gale on the walk home from work this afternoon, so much so, the wind stopped me in my tracks more than once. The large flock of birds, some 1000 strong, was still in the fields at migrant alley, mostly FIELDFARES, but a fair few REDWING and STARLING.

Once home, I decided a quick walk round the lake area would be good, however before the last bite of my sandwich, I heard the thrashing of heavy rain lashing on the window. Oh well another garden birdwatch. I sat down at the upstairs window, and noticed how little the food had gone down in the feeders - a sure sign that the SPARROWHAWK was interupting the feeding. I ventured out into the garden, and sure enough out flew my old mate, from the large leylandi type tree. There were still a few brave souls willing to come in, but only in ones and twos. Of the 17 species I recorded, the largest group, were of COLLARED DOVES - 6 in all. The COAL TIT, NUTHATCH, GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER and MAGPIE all came in once, whilst a JACKDAW came in repeatedly, picking at a chicken carcass I threw out. The WOODPIGEON came in again, now not such a rareity, it also brought a friend and together they cleaned up the spilled seed from the feeders. Another 9 species were seen over, or in the vacinity of the garden, the best of which was a soggy siskin, sitting atop of a tree out at the front of the house.


Woodpigeon In The Garden, Not so Rare Now

A Quick Check To See If The Coast Is Clear

2 comments:

Hornet said...

With both Collared Doves AND Wood Pigeons at your feeders, you could go through a fortune in bird seed - you might yet come to value that Sparrowhawk!

Warren Baker said...

Hornet,I already spend 60 quid a month on seed,nuts and fat! Its well worth it though. Less than the cost a pint of beer a day.